Sample Interview Questions
Eric Marcus can answer a full range of questions about suicide, suicide prevention, and coping with the suicide of a loved one. And he is glad to respond to questions about his personal experiences regarding the suicides of both his father and his sister-in-law.
Suggested questions follow below:
Suicide Myths and Facts
• Are teenagers or the elderly at greater risk of taking their lives?
• Can you tell if someone is suicidal? Can a suicide be prevented?
• Who attempts suicide more often, men or women?
• Are the surviving children of a parent who kills herself at greater risk of suicide?
• Is it true that suicide rates are higher in Scandinavian countries?
Coping with the Suicide of a Friend, Colleague, or Family Member
• Can you ever figure out why someone killed himself?
• How do people react to the suicide of a loved one?
• Why do people keep it a secret? Why are people afraid to talk about it?
• What do you say to a person who has lost someone to suicide?
• How do you explain a suicide to a child? Isn’t it better to hide the truth from a child?
About The Book
• Why did you write Why Suicide?
• Who is the book for?
• What did you learn while working on the book?
• What’s different about this newly revised and updated edition?
• What do you hope readers will take away from your book?
About Eric Marcus and His Experience with Suicide
• How did you find out that your father killed himself?
• Is it easy for you to talk about the nature of your father’s death?
• Why did your sister-in-law kill herself? How did you react?
• Did writing Why Suicide? help you deal with what happened to your loved ones?
• Have you had any other family experiences with suicide?