• Suicide Risk Assessments Called Into Doubt
One more example of how little we really know about suicide and suicide risk.
The Sydney Morning Herald, May 20, 2013
• New Study Documents Impact of Classmate’s Suicide on Teens
Los Angeles Times, May 20, 2013
• Is There A Link Between Increase in Loneliness and Increase in Suicide Rate?
New York Times columnist Ross Douthat thinks so. Worth reading and thinking about.
New York Times, May 18, 2013
• My Letter in Response to “Baffling Rise in Suicides..” (See Below)
New York Times, May 18, 2013
• Baffling Rise in Suicides Plagues the Military
New York Times, May 16, 2013
• Fiscal Austerity Policies Kill
Is anyone surprised that fiscal austerity has led to an increase in suicides in
countries that have imposed draconian budget cuts on the backs of working
people and the poor? Something else for the “fiscal conservatives” to brag about!
New York Times, May 13, 2013
• Michel Martin, host of NPR’s “Tell Me More,” Talks About
Impact of Her Brother’s Suicide in Light of Suicide Rate Jump
This is a must-listen!
NPR, May 8, 2013
• Do Suicide Prevention Screening Tests Work? Federal Panel Casts Doubts
Well, that’s depressing news, especially given the time, effort, and resources devoted to screening tests.
Los Angeles Times, April 22, 2013
• People Who Have Attempted Suicide Speak Out
Who better to learn from about suicide prevention than people who have tried to kill themselves? AAS launches a website called “What Happens Now?” to engage survivors in a public forum.
Washington Post, April 13, 2013
• Suicide Risk Linked To Gun Ownership
Since we know this to be the case (this isn’t the first study to come up with these
results) why aren’t organizations like AFSP lobbying harder for stronger gun safety
measures (like requiring all guns to be locked up!).
UPI.com, April 5, 2013
• Department of Defense Reviews 900+ Suicide Prevention Programs to
See What Works and What Doesn’t
This is just the kind of research that the government should be doing since we know that suicide prevention hotlines don’t prevent suicide and looking for warning signs is for the most part useless as well.
Marine Corps Times, March 25, 2013
• Battling Suicide In a ‘Gun State’ Means Treading Carefully
Maybe it’s time to stop treading carefully and do something bold to counter gun
advocates who care more about the freedom to own guns than the terrible impact
of suicide deaths by gunfire.
NPR, March 24, 2013
• How a Patient’s Suicide Changed a Doctor’s Approach to Guns
NPR, March 20, 2013
•A Turning Point for Talking About Suicide and Guns In Wyoming
NPR, March 19, 2013
•Hoping to Understand Suicide Risk by Studying Suicide Notes
Cincinnati.com, March 15, 2013
•Curbing Suicide With Sensible Gun Regulations
Why are we so afraid of the gun lobby when we know that
sensible regulations will reduce suicides?
New York Times, March 8, 2013
• Jane Fonda Opens Up About Mother’s Suicide
Fox News, February 28, 2013
• As Families Change, Korea’s Elderly Turn to Suicide
New York Times, February 16, 2013
• Guns Make Suicide Too Easy!
Great NY Times editorial promoting gun safety as way to reduce suicide rate.
New York Times, February 15, 2013
•To Reduce Suicide Rates, New Focus Turns to Guns
Why aren’t we putting more energy and money into gun safety?
New York Times, February 14, 2013
• Help For Families Struggling with Mental Illness
Attorney Carolyn Reinach Wolf assists families in navigating the mental health
care system to get loved ones the help they need.
New York Times, February 8, 2013
• ADHD + Adderall = Suicide?
A close look at the problem of ADHD medical practices and
amphetamine addiction. The article focuses on the case of one
young man who killed himself.
New York Times, February 2, 2013
• As Suicide Rate Rises in U.S. Veterans are Less of Total
This seems like a strange story to me, as if this is good news. Seems
like bad news all around.
New York Times, February 1, 2013
•Impulsivity And Access To Means Drive Rising U.S. Suicide Rate
NPR, January 25, 2013
• Is Therapy Effective in Preventing Teen Suicide?
New study casts serious doubts.
New York Times, January 8, 2013
• A Challenge to Those Who Claim Guns at Home Make Us Safe
Here’s a compelling challenge to those who say, “guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” This columnist argues persuasively that people who keep guns in their homes are less safe because those guns are far more often used in suicide and murder than for protection. It’s time to stand up to the NRA and say: Control guns. Prevent suicide.
Chicago Tribune, January 4, 2013
• New Department of Defense Study Reveals How Much We Don’t
Know About Suicide
This new report suggests there is still a lot to be learned about suicide
and its causes. And if we don’t know what leads people to take their lives,
how can we begin to prevent it?
Time.com, January 3, 2013
• Understanding Suicide in the Context of Murder-Suicide
Must-read column by Andrew Solomon offers insight into the recent
massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.
New York Times, December 23, 2012
• Two New Studies on Impact of Suicide on Surviving Family Members
One of the studies looks specifically at children who lose a parent to suicide
early in life and their increased risk of dying by suicide.
Medscape News, December 11, 2012
•Brilliant New Graphic Memoir About Bipolar Disorder
Cartoonist Ellen Forney writes and draws about her experience of living
with and being treated for bipolar disorder.
NPR Morning Edition, November 26, 2012
• Could a Suicide Attempt Really Land You In Jail?
Hard to believe that this is true, but it is. Read about a court challenge to
this antiquated and harmful law.
Los Angeles Times, November 24, 2012
• Families Share Stories of Healing in Aftermath of Suicide Loss
Grand Forks (North Dakota) Herald, November 18, 2012
• Review of Oddly Normal
NY Times journalist John Schwartz combines the story of his gay son’s suicide attempt and struggle to embrace his sexuality with a report about research on LGBT teens in a compelling new book.
NY Times, November 11, 2012
• Bullying & Abuse Linked to Suicidal Thoughts In Children & Teens
CNN.com, October 23, 2012
• Researchers Say Cyber-Bullying Rarely Sole Link to Suicide
Given that there were only 41 suicides studied you really have to wonder how any concrete conclusions can be drawn from such a small sample.
UPI.com, October 21, 2012
• Most Suicidal Teens Don’t Get Help
PsychCentral, October 15, 2012
• Military’s “Stand Down For Suicide” Day Is A Big Joke
I was sorry to read confirmation of what I feared. More about
public relations than a real effort to prevent suicide.
Business Insider, October 2, 2012
• Gay “Cure” for Minors Banned in California. 49 States to Go!
Goal is to reduce depression and suicide.
New York Times, October 1, 2012
• Suicide Notes Leave As Many Questions
As Answers for Survivors
Detroit Free Press, September 9, 2012
• Suicide’s Collateral Damage; Time to Address the Emotional
Toll on Victims’ Survivors
Lexington Herald-Leader, August 27, 2012
• Tyler Clementi’s Mother Grapples With Blame In
Aftermath of Gay Son’s Suicide
New York Times, August 25, 2012
• A Psychiatrist Explains Why People Kill Themselves
An excellent overview that acknowledges why we’re still left asking “why?”
CNN Health, August 21, 2012
• U.S. Military Testing Anti-Suicide Nasal Spray
Too Good to Be True?
The Daily, August 20, 2012
• Native-American Youth Suicide Prevention Effort
In Wake Teen Suicide Epidemic, Apache Youth Journey to
Florida to Learn How Ancestors Were Brutalized
Tampa Bay Times, August 12, 2012
• Jacksonville, Florida, Youth Say Trusted Adults Can
Help When Thinking About Suicide
Florida Times-Union, August 8, 2012
• SF Synagogue Holds Public Yizkur Service on Anniversary of
First Suicide from the Golden Gate Bridge
The Jewish Daily Forward, August 5, 2012
• Military Facing Epidemic of Suicide Says Def. Secretary Leon Panetta.
My question: This is news? But apparently it is.
BusinessWeek, July 25, 2012
• Is Eliminating Stigma and Increasing Peer & Community Support
the Answer for Reducing Military and Veteran Suicides?
Joseph Bobrow for the HuffingtonPost, July 16, 2012
• General’s Harsh Words About Soldier Suicides Provides
a “Teachable Moment”
Stars and Stripes, May 29, 2012
• Survivors of Military Suicides Come Together to Grieve,
Including “Good Grief Camp for Young Survivors”
U.S. News on MSNBC.com, May 26, 2012
• Widow of NFL Player Ray Easterling Continues Her Fight
Even After Her Husband’s Suicide
New York Times, May 3, 2012
• Iowans Reeling After String of Teen Suicides
IndyStar.com, April 28, 2012
• Social Media Fosters Healing After Suicide
Tucson Citizen, April 21, 2012
• Amid Europe’s Debt Crisis, A Sharp Rise in Suicides
NPR, April 21, 2012
• A Father Struggles with the Suicide of his Adult Daughter
Martinsville Bulletin (Virginia), April 16, 2012
• NY Times Columnist Nicholas Kristof on Military Suicides and
How We’re Failing Our Veterans
New York Times, April 15, 2012
• A Mother Writes About Her Son’s Recent Suicide
and Her Mother’s Dementia
New York Times, April 10, 2012
• Stigma Leads Coroners in Ireland to Underreport Suicide
Irish Central, April 2, 2012
• Anti-Suicide Efforts Seem to Pay Off in Wisconsin County
Wausau Daily Herald, March 31, 2012
• A California High School Deals With Suicide Head On
The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, CA, March 31, 2012
• Dharun Ravi Wrongly Blame in Tyler Clementi Suicide
by Eric Marcus
NJ Star-Ledger, March 29, 2012
• Politics, Justice, & Suicide in the Clementi-Ravi Case
MetroWest Daily News, March 25, 2012
• Helping Heal the Pain Suicide Leaves Behind
Holding a Suicide Survivors Remembrance Ceremony
Albany Times Union, March 24 ,2012
• Interview with Dharun Ravi re: Tyler Clementi Suicide
Star-Ledger, New Jersey, March 22, 2012
• New Book By Teen About Father’s Suicide
MetroWest Daily News, March 14, 2012
• Friends Who Lost Brothers to Suicide Bike Cross-Country
to Raise Awareness of Suicide & End Stigma
Santa Cruz Sentinel, March 1, 2012
• Strong Family Ties Cut Suicide Rate for Bullied Gay Youth
Chicago Tribune, February 14, 2012
• Looking for Reasons Behind Suicide:
A Sociologist Offers New Insight
Sociological Forum, Vol 27, Issue 1, February 6, 2012
• Shattering the Black Suicide Myth
Chicago Tribune, February 5, 2012
• A Very Close Look at Gay Teen Tyler Clementi’s Suicide
The New Yorker, February 6, 2012
• LGBT Teens: Bullying & Suicide in One Minnesota School District
Rolling Stone, February 2, 2012
• A UK Mom Shares Her Story About Her Son’s Suicide
and its Aftermath
Cambridge News, January 23, 2012
• Military: Suicide Among Active-Duty Soldiers at
Record High in 2011
New York Times, 1-19-2012
• Inspiring Story of Survival: A Veteran Who Attempted Suicide
Now Counsels Other Veterans Dealing with Substance Abuse
New York Times, 1-18-2012
• Facebook Joins Suicide Prevention Effort
TIME, December 13, 2011
• NY Times “Social Q’s” Columnist Philip Galanes Discusses
His Father’s Suicide in Terrific NPR “Fresh Air” Interview
NPR, “Fresh Air,” December 5, 2011
• Celebrated Poet Who Wrote Powerfully About Her
Husband’s Suicide Dies at 96 (obit link includes sample poems)
New York Times, November 24, 2011
• How Can We Prevent Military Suicides?
New York Times, “Room for Debate,” November 20, 2011
• Army Still Grappling with Soldier Suicides
CNN, November 18, 2011
• Facing Thanksgiving After a Son’s Suicide
Toms River Patch, November 14, 2011
• Veterans Give Video Testimonials On How Reaching
Out Helped Them With Mental Health Issues
Make the Connection/Veterans Stories & Support
• NY Times “Social Q’s” Columnist Writes About
Impact of His Father’s Suicide
New York Times, November 6, 2011
• New Report on Military and Veteran Suicides and How to Reduce Them
Center for a New American Security, October 31, 2011
• Caution Re: Talking About LGBT Youth Suicides and Bullying
A terrific op-ed from the director of the Trevor Project about how
the ways we talk about this issue can unintentionally spread the problem.
The Advocate, October 20, 2011
• New Study Shows That Fear Prevents Us From Helping Suicidal Loved Ones
The Atlantic, October 19, 2011
• An Erev Yom Kippur Suicide; A Daughter Seeks Forgiveness
New York Times Opinionator, October 5 2011
• Successful Anti-Suicide Program for
Minnesota Military Running Out of Money
Minneapolis Star Tribune, October 2, 2011
• Recession Causes Silent Epidemic of Depression
The Fiscal Times, October 2, 2011
• The Danger of Glamorizing a Teen’s Suicide
USA Today, September 29, 2011
• Jane Fonda’s Biographer Patricia Bosworth Writes Movingly on
Their Shared Experience as Suicide Survivors
New York Times, September 25, 2011
• Minnesota Suburb Confronts Gay Bullying
New York Times, September 13, 2011
• Eight Student Suicides in Minnesota School District
(also see gay bullying article above)
New York Times, September 13, 2011
• 9/11 World Trade Center Jumpers: Was It Suicide? Does It Matter?
(Please be aware that this article is graphic and very upsetting—or at least it was to me)
Daily Nation (Kenya), September 12, 2011
• U.S. Rep. Judy Chu’s Testimony at House Armed Services Committee Hearing (Re: Her Marine Nephew’s Suicide) Touches Military Leaders
Huffington Post, September 9, 2011
• Refusing Nourishment at End of Life: Suicide or Rational Choice or Both?
New York Times, August 30, 2011
• One In 10 Suicides Linked to Chronic Illness
The Guardian, August 23, 2011
• Department of Veteran Affairs in Court Battle Over Failure
to Care For Veterans with Mental Health Problems
New York Times Editorial, August 21, 2011
• A Father Kills Himself to Save Son from Deportation
New York Times, August 20, 2011
• Do We Need to Speak More Openly About Suicide?
The Sydney Morning Herald, August 13, 2011
• New Details in Tyler Clementi Suicide Reveal More Complex Picture
New York Times, August 12, 2011
• Grief After Suicide: An Interview with Dr. Jack Jordan
PsychCentral.com, July 2011
• Men Grieve Differently; Widowers At Higher Risk of Suicide Thank Widows
New York Times, July 25, 2011
• The Suicide Paradox (Radio Documentary)
Great overview of suicide from a unique perspective.
Freakonomics Radio, June 22, 2011
• Expert on mental illness who treats the seriously suicidal reveals her own fight with mental illness and suicide
New York Times, June 23, 2011
• British Actor Stephen Fry Discusses His Bipolar Disorder
and Ongoing Thoughts of Suicide
Digital Spy, June 2, 2011
• Elite South Korean University Rattled by Suicides
New York Times, May 23, 2011
• Families of Colorado Suicides Stand Together to Find Hope
Denver Post, May 22, 2011
• University of South Dakota Group Spreading Suicide Awareness
Yankton Press & Dakotan, May 19, 2011
• Better Mental Health Care for Veterans Called for
in the Wake of Court Decision
A federal circuit court finds government incompetence is leading to thousands of suicides.
New York Times Editorial, May 19, 2011
• Sirdeaner Walker, mother of 11-year-old bullied son who took his life,
honored by AFSP at 2011 Lifesavers dinner in NYC
Video news story from ABC40 in Springfield, MA, May 11, 2011
• New Guidelines for Talking about Suicide and Gay/LGBT People
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, May 5, 2011
• Gay/LGBT Youth Suicide Reports Show Need for More Studies
Windy City Times, April 27, 2011
• Gay and Straight Teens More Likely to Attempt Suicide in Politically Conservative Communities
Associated Press (via Yahoo News), April 18, 2011
• Study Ties Suicide Rate in Work Force to Economy
New York Times, April 15, 2011
• Allergies Can Increase the Risk of Depression
Perhaps an explanation for the increasing suicide rate in spring?
New York Times, April 11, 2011
• Suicide of a Football Player and a Puzzling Last Request
New York Times, February 22, 2011
• Number of Troops Lost to Suicide Undercounted
Congress.org, January 24, 2011
• Gay Teen Suicide Risk: NY Times columnist Jane Brody takes a closer look at what we know and what we don’t. New York Times, January 3, 2011
• Bernard Madoff’s Son Kills Himself: On the second anniversary of his father’s arrest–and a week after being named as a defendant in a civil lawsuit filed by the trustee seeking assets for victims of the scheme–Mark Madoff hanged himself at home, while his 2-year-old son was asleep in an adjoining bedroom. New York Times, December 11, 2010
• Female Vets Especially Vulnerable to Suicide
NPR, Weekend Edition Saturday, December 4, 2010
• Alarming Increase in Civilian Soldier Suicides: National Guard soldiers who are not on active duty killed themselves this year at nearly twice the rate of 2009.
USA Today, Friday, November 26, 2010
• Dear Abby Advises on “Getting Over” a Loved One’s Suicide
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Thursday, November 11, 2010
• Preventing Military Suicides: NPR’s Scott Simon talks with Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff, and his wife, Deborah, about the increased efforts to curb suicides by military servicemen and women.
NPR Weekend Edition, Saturday, November 6, 2010
• “It Gets Better” Videos: These two videos moved me to tears and one can only hope that they give hope to teens who feel hopeless.
Young Broadway stars sing for the Trevor Project
The Broadway company of “Chicago” talk about how it gets better
• Military Suicides: In light of record military suicides and high death rates among returning soldiers from a variety of causes, columnist Bob Herbert urges better mental health care for U.S. soldiers.
New York Times, October 23, 2010
• Survivors of Military Suicides: National Public Radio story on the efforts being made by TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) to support family members left behind in the aftermath of a soldier’s sucide.
NPR, October 21, 2010
• President Obama “It Gets Better” Video: President Obama addresses bullying and suicide and urges young people who feel isolated to reach out to adults for help. Very compelling and just the right tone.
From the White House, October 21, 2010
• It Gets Better—Surviving Suicide: Here’s an essay I wrote for Chicago’s LGBT newspaper, which is running a series of essays in response to the recent suicides of several young gay people who have been bullied. Click here for my essay, which focuses on the survivor experience. Click here for links to all of the essays in the article.
Windy City Times, October 13, 2010
• Despite Army Efforts, Soldier Suicides Continue: For a variety of reasons, efforts to reduce military suicides fail to affect the rate of suicide among soldiers.
New York Times, October 10, 2010
• Survivor Profile—Coping With An Unfinished Life: Karen Green, widow of writer David Foster Wallace, uses her art to work through the experience of losing her husband to suicide.
New York Times, October 8, 2010
• Music Student Takes Life After Exposure on Internet: Tyler Clementi, 18, jumped from NYC’s George Washington Bridge after his roommate secretly broadcast Tyler’s intimate encounter with another young man.
New York Times, September 29, 2010
New York Daily News, September 29, 2010
• Preventing Military Suicides: Congressman Rush Holt urges passage of legislation, named for Coleman Bean, the late son of Greg and Linda Bean, that provides for a national program to reach at-risk National Guard and Reserve members of the military.
New York Times, Letters to the Editor, September 27, 2010
• Military Suicides: NY Times editorial urges more be done to care for troubled soldiers after they return home.
New York Times, Editorial, September 21, 2010
• Golden Gate Bridge: San Francisco Supervisor Sponsors “Please Don’t Jump Day”
San Francisco Examiner, September 15, 2010
• Suicide and Brain Injury—Possible Link? College football player’s suicide death raises question.
New York Times, September 14, 2010
• Anti-Suicide Campaign Backed by Gay Rugby Referee: Nigel Owens helps launch Samaritans Men on the Ropes campaign.
BBC News, September 8, 2010
• Suicide in Middle Age: An essay by Dan Fields, former editor in chief of Dr. Andrew Weil’s Self-Healing newsletter.
The Good Men Magazine, August 15, 2010
• New York Public Library Develops Policy on Callers Who Threaten Suicide
American Libraries, August 12, 2010
• The Suicide of a Friend: Andrew Solomon writes an incredibly moving essay about the death of a college classmate.
Yale Alumni Magazine, July/August 2010
• Veterans: Veterans turn to suicide hot line for help. This article and video moved me to tears.
New York Times, July 31, 2010
• Military Suicides: Pentagon report places blame for high suicide rate.
New York Times, July 30, 2010
• Golden Gate Bridge: Funding approved for design of suicide barrier.
New York Times, July 29, 2010
• Funding for Military Mental Health Care: New York Times editorial in favor of legislation to provide funding for mental health care for all Army reservists in light of skyrocketing suicides and suicide attempts. (Seems like a no-brainer, but clearly someone with no brain–or heart–thinks we shouldn’t be spending the money.)
New York Times, July 23, 2010
• Military Suicides: Army reports record number of suicides for the month of June.
USA Today, July 15, 2010
• Impulsive Suicide: A Cautionary Tale from the Aunt of Teddy Graubard
HuffPost Healthy Living, June 11, 2010
• Feature Story on the Suicide of Dalton High School Student Teddy Graubard
New York Magazine, May 30, 2010
• A Brother’s Suicide: ”Can I Just Tell You” Radio Commentary by Michel Martin.
NPR, “Maybe Someday Love Will Cure Despair,” May 24, 2010
• Military Suicides & Presidential Condolence Letters: My letter to the editor of the New York Times.
New York Times, December 9, 2009
• Animal Suicide: A scientific debate.
Time magazine, March 19, 2010
• A Daughter Writes of Her Mother’s Suicide and Her Daughter’s Birth
“Modern Love,” New York Times, January 29, 2006