Why Suicide? E-Book published on February 19, 2013!
“Dear Abby” recommends Why Suicide? in her September 7, 2011 column.
Suicide myths from Why Suicide? explored in tumblr.com post.
“Dear Abby” recommends Why Suicide? in her November 11, 2010 column.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has selected Why Suicide? for the organization’s Surviving Suicide Loss Bibliography.
• April 29, 2013, by Debra Stang, Alliance of Hope blog.
• October 5, 2011, in Chicago’s Windy City Times (bottom page 36):
Prolific gay author and activist Eric Marcus is one of our community’s most important writer-historians. All of his books provide insight into issues of importance to LGBT life and history. Why Suicide? is a re-issue that has been updated and revised, and it could not be more timely, given the continued depressing rate of LGBT suicides, among the young and older. Marcus’ father committed suicide, so this issue has been close to him most of his life. The book is a required read for anyone who cares about the why, how and getting beyond a suicide of a friend or family member. This is not about gay or straight, but of course it is informed by Marcus’ own gay lens.
• October 7, 2010, Library Journal (only available to Library Journal members).
• Fall 2010 Edition of “Suicide Survivor,” a publication of the American Association of Suicidology (no link available).
• November 30, 2010, by Mervyn Kaufman, “The Good Men’s Project” magazine.
• March 19, 1996, by Leroy Aarons, The Advocate.
INTERVIEWS & VIDEOS
• RADIO: Listen to Eric and AFSP’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Christine Moutier, discuss coping with the holidays in the aftermath of a suicide on NPR’s Tell Me More, December 23, 2013.
• VIDEO: See Eric moderate the 2012 International Survivors of Suicide Day panel discussion with six people who have lived through the suicide of a loved one.
• VIDEO: Watch hour-long AFSP Congressional staffer briefing on suicide moderated by Eric on November 15, 2011, at the Capitol Visitors Center in Washington, DC.
• RADIO: Bobby DeMuro interviews Eric for his November 18, 2011, “7-Day Challenge“ show on the Radio Exiles network in advance of International Survivors of Suicide Day.
• RADIO: Listen to Eric interviewed about suicide and religion on NPR’s Interfaith Voices, March 9, 2011. The interview begins 38 minutes, 45 seconds into the show, so once you click on “Play Show,” you’ll have to move the little time indicator rectangle to the right (along the time indicator line) until you get to 38 minutes and 45 seconds. The interview lasts 13 minutes.
• RADIO: Listen to Eric interviewed about Why Suicide? on WAMC Northeast Public Radio, February 9, 2011.